Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Is it finally starting to sink in?

We had a 5 year old epiphany tonight. And it felt great! Family scripture study each evening is often circus-like. We sometimes struggle to read 3 verses before the animals (small children) go crazy. It often feels like no one is listening (including me when I have the crying infant in my lap). But tonight while we were reading in Alma chapter 7, I felt like maybe, just maybe, something from the hours spent reading the scriptures together, might have sunk in. Dad read a few verses (about 10-16) and Katie read verse 12. We talked about the need to be baptized to be born again and live with Heavenly Father and Jesus (v 14). Katie asked, "Well, what about Charlotte, Mom's sister? She wasn't baptized. What will happen to her?" I think I almost started to cry, and Brett was astounded too. So we had a great family discussion (until almost 10 pm mind you-whoever said teaching experiences were convenient or timely?) about the atonement of Christ. We talked about being accountable at age 8 to know right from wrong, and to choose the right. We talked about being old enough to make covenants and promises with Heavenly Father. We talked about where children and babies go if they die before they are baptized, and how our loving Heavenly Father provided a way that they can be saved too. We talked about resurrection being a wonderful gift to us, and that through Christ, we can all be resurrected when He comes to earth again, even my baby sister. The spirit was strong (even with Mandy wrestling her bears on the bed) as Katie pondered the plan of her Heavenly Father, and Brett and I attempted to teach her, where her intuition had already guided her sharp mind. The spirit was even stronger as Brett testified of the truth of baptism being necessary, and the atonement saving little children, and recognizing the spirit in the room. It is something I want to remember, and I hope Katie remembers too. I am so grateful for my loving Savior who atoned for my sins, and who provided a way that not only I can be saved, but also my innocent baby sister.

3 comments:

Meg said...

What a wonderful experience that must have been! I give the "Parents of the Year" award to you guys! Great job and what a sweet picture of Katie!

Hannah S said...

Wow. Awesome experience. It's helpful to write it down to remember, and to remind her too. Katie is such a sweet child!

rozanny said...

I just found your blog! I can't believe how much she looks like you!